30.6.10

July 4th Dressing

Whatever you have planned for the 4th of July this weekend, it probably involves eating and drinking outdoors. There are plenty of festive options that are comfy and casual, so bust out your red, white, and blue for the occasion!
Color block! For the first look, I paired my white jeans with a blue top and red necklace. Try color blocking with basics you already have, like white or denim, and adding a bold piece of jewelry. You could wear a white top with denim or blue on the bottom and red jewelry. Or a red skirt, white top, and turquoise jewelry. Gold, silver, and nude shoes look great with this color combination so go neutral with shoes. Unless you have a fun pair of sandals in festive colors!
Accessorize! For this look I layered two white tanks with a blue and white pinstriped skirt. The necklace my sister-in-law made has a touch of red and I added a red tasseled clutch for an extra pop of color. Accessories are an easy way to add color to your otherwise neutral look. Tie a festive scarf to your bag, add a colorful ribbon to your jewelry, or make your own brooch! A little goes a long way with this color scheme so you just need a touch!
Belt it! Red or navy with a white dress is simple and chic. Also look for any dresses you have in blue or red that can be cinched with a white or navy belt. Denim dresses are everywhere right now, so wear them with a belt in red and white stripes. If you're planning to be pool-side, wear a long tunic as a coverup and swap the tie belt like this white one from J.Crew with a ribbon belt in red, white, and blue sailboats.
Prints! This is a perfect opportunity to mix red, white, and blue prints. I paired my red and white striped sweater with a blue and white printed skirt. If you can't find prints for both the top and bottom, pair them with white or denim. A red and white striped tank with denim cut offs would be ideal for the beach!
One of the easiest ways to pull your look together is by accessorizing. Jewelry, belts, bags, shoes...You might be surprised with what you already have. I know I was!

2 comments:

Julie and Luke said...

Thanks, Jenna! These are perfect options -- I am going to dig through my wardrobe tonight and figure it out. After Twilight that is...
I'm a sad case.

xoxo Julie

L said...

Yay Jen! I love the patterns... pressure is on for Sunday!