"In search of a yellow cupcake recipe that would be good enough to satisfy the parents at a kids' birthday party, we discovered that simply dumping flour, eggs, butter, and sour cream into a mixing bowl and mixing produced the desired result." -Cooks Illustrated
(Makes 12 cupcakes)
To double the recipe, use 3 whole eggs and 2 yolks, and double the remaining ingredients.
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. For Cupcakes: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin/cupcake tin with liners.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. (Hand mixing works too.) Scrape down sides of bowl with spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
3. Divide batter evenly among cups using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 20-24 minutes. Transfer to wire rack; cool cupcakes to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
4. For Frosting: Bring cream to boil in small saucepan or in microwave. Place chocolate in medium bowl and pour boiling cream over. Cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool and slightly firm, 45 minutes to 1 hour. (The freezer works too if you're pressed for time!!)
5. Transfer cooled chocolate mixture to bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment; whip mixture at medium speed until fluffy and mousse-like and forms medium-stiff peaks, about 2 minutes.
6. Spread 2 to 3 generous tablespoons Chocolate Ganache Frosting on top of each cooled cupcake; serve!