23.3.18

Color Crush: Purple & Red

Our Mountain Laurel tree has the most amazing purple blooms right now, and paired with the red hummingbird feeder, I can't get enough! I've always loved red and purple together, but lately I've been finding more ways to incorporate them into my outfits and around the house. Here's to a happy and colorful SPRING!!
{Pearl at the SAMA Matisse Exhibit--One of my favorite artists who uses bold colors, especially in his Nice years}
A purple mohair chair in our family room that was my husband's great aunt's, with various shades of red in the rug, art, and bookshelves. I love all the greens mixed in from outside and in the Manuel Canovas chinoiserie pillows.
Wearing one of my favorite print scarves on a hike in Jackson Hole with Annie-- It's great to travel with, because it goes with so many different basics like black, white and denim (and hides stains so well, ha!)
{Jackie Kennedy in a classic sundress}
In our bedroom, the antique screen has all different shades of purple, and we painted the walls Sherwin Williams White Lilac
It's such a soothing shade for a bedroom! 
I found this fabric from India to make a "skirt" for my sewing table to conceal the mess of cords and printer underneath. Block prints are a great way to add just a touch, or a big dose of color! Mela & Roam is my go-to inspiration source for block prints--make sure to check her out if you're in Round Top!!
{Our mouse pad with all the shades I love!}
{Henri Matisse, 1910}
Lela in a Pink Chicken dress, with turquoise and pink vintage bead necklaces. This girl knows how to layer!!
Leap is a boutique in Houston that's unfortunately no longer in business, but I still love this crusty old red table with hints of purple. 
{Beaded Megan Park Jacket}
Mercedes Salazar--LOVE her accessories!
In the younger kids' room, this vintage headboard with pinks, green, and purple was the jumping off point for their color scheme. The quilts are from Pottery Barn, the colorful throws from Target, and I made the pillows from vintage silk fabric. Kid's rooms are the perfect place to experiment with color and pattern!!
When there's A LOT of different colors going on, I like to add neutrals into the mix wherever I can :)
I found the set of PB bunk beds for a steal ($150!) and they were already painted gold, so I toned it down with plain white sheets, and these fun polka dot pillow cases and sheets

A Kelly Wearstler Vibe Tray--I just listened to a great interview with her titled Color As Her Muse
 La Double J, a Milanese brand that sells the MOST amazing selection of vintage and new dresses--one of my favorite IG accounts to follow!!
Getting ready for Fiesta with a Nativa Hand Towel (from the FAB Hotel Emma gift shop Curio) in our powder bathroom with the best smelling lavender hand soap!
This feathered friend sits on top of our bookshelf in the family room, which is always evolving with books and photos. Rearranging bookshelves gives me instant gratification- also a great place to play around with color!
I love this purple and red mix, with a dose of black, from Canary in Dallas- Antik Batik Block Print Top, Sans Arcidet Raffia Bag--their Instagram account always has an inspiring color palette. 
{Raoul Dufy, La Vie en Rose}
Jeffrey Billhuber is another interior designer who mixes colors fearlessly--how fun are these lacquered ceilings?!?
 I was lucky enough to catch the Oscar de la Renta exhibit at MFAH last week, and the fabrics were EXQUISITE. It was honestly hard to tell what year he designed each piece, whether it was with Balenciaga in the 1950's, a caftan in the '80s, or a red carpet dress in 2008. It was a nice reminder that prints and colors are timeless!!
Gardens were a big inspiration for his designs, especially his homes in Kent, CT and the Dominican Republic that were so full of color. 
I just watched DRIES on Netflix, another designer I admire so much for his use of color and prints, and his gardens and home in Belgium are worth watching the entire film for!! 
Happy Spring!! xoxo

No comments: