21.5.14

Our Bedroom Redo!

I loved our old bedroom, but when we upgraded to a king and needed a different headboard, I went with a totally a new look. My decorating budget was nonexistent, so we lucked out when Will's aunt was getting rid of this vintage screen. It was too wide but we removed one of the panels in the middle and it fits right in between the windows! Since it's a tiny room and the bed takes up most of the space, I wanted everything else to stay pretty neutral. I used these bedrooms as my inspiration...

I moved the Greek Key curtains from the living room, and used three of the pillows I made for the sofa. The mirrored lamps from Target were in the sewing room, and I just updated them with new lampshades. I borrowed the bedskirt from my mother in law (it's actually two twin bedskirts on the boxed springs) so the only thing we needed to buy was a king sheet set. FYI- Tuesday Morning stocks Peacock Alley and SFERRA bedding!!!
(One of my all time favorite T issues)
"...the greatest triumph seems to be a life lived with clarity, purpose and simplicity...Sticking to what we must do and want to do for ourselves and others, and editing out much of the unnecessary dreck, is a form of simplicity." -Deborah Needleman
(T Magazine, The Luxury of Simplicity)
For me, the key to a serene bedroom (especially when it's tiny like ours) is to keep it well-edited and completely free of clutter. Even if it means throwing things in the closet and shutting the door :)
I had to move my vanity desk since it was too cramped, so I replaced the smaller mirror with one that I borrowed from my parents' house. The pair of pineapple sconces still hold my bracelets and brooches, but I had to come up with a new spot to get ready... 
I had this vintage box that my bamboo mirror fit perfectly in, and I secured it with some 3M adhesives so it can open and close to conserve space on Will's bedside table. Right now I'm just using this cheap Ikea table we had, but I'd love to slipcover it like Jenny's skirted console.
For the bedding, I used two flat sheets with a white duvet in between, tucked into the ends with
hospital corners for a nice, crisp look. Now the duvet doesn't get kicked onto the floor, and to make the bed I simply fold them all forward and toss the 3 pillows in front! It's great because instead of stripping the whole bed every time, I just throw the top sheets in the washer without messing with unbuttoning the duvet cover. My least favorite part!
Everyone stresses about the nursery getting finished before the baby comes, but I think your bedroom should be top priority, especially if you have older kids that want to cuddle. Lela used the vintage bassinet that all our babies have used, and I love how it blended in with all our bedding. We spent so much time in our bedroom the first few months, piled in the bed while I nursed or reading books and watching TV.
As for the toile curtains, I moved those to the living room...
And I used throw pillows I already had for the sofa, including the silk ikat one that used to be on our bed. I also made one out of the extra toile from our bed skirt and dyed tassels to match.

Our gallery wall with the waterlogue app:
My mom graciously hemmed all the curtains for me so they stay off the floor. She sewed two toile panels together on either side, so now we can completely close them for naps on the couch!
I painted the coffee table red on a whim, so we have a whole new look going on in the living room too!!!

No comments: